The purpose of the Manitoba Cup Race Series is:
- To foster friendly competitive rivalries between Manitoba cross country ski clubs,
- To increase attendance at Manitoba cross country ski events,
- To provide additional funding opportunities for CCSAM clubs,
- To promote club coaching programs.
The race series will consist of at least 4 – 5 events in the competition season. Clubs will accumulate Manitoba Cup points whenever their members participate in a Manitoba Cup race. Participating clubs must have representation at, at least, one Provincial Championship race or host a Manitoba Cup race in the current competition season to remain eligible in final standings.
Prize List: CCSAM clubs will compete for a share of a cash purse. Purse amount may vary annually. Typically the purse is $2000.
Eligibility: All participants must be registered members of a CCSAM Member Club. Non-club members will not earn points for any club.
Manitoba Cup Points: There are 3 ways a club will earn Manitoba Cup points at designated Manitoba Cup events:
- Competition Results;
- Event Hosting;
- Distance Traveled Multiplier.
Competition Results: All athletes competing in a Manitoba Cup event will earn Manitoba Cup points for their club. Points will be awarded as follows in each category as per the final posted results for each eligible event:
- 1st Place = 5 points
- 2nd Place = 4 points
- 3rd Place = 3 points
- 4th Place = 2 points
- 5th Place and beyond = 1 point
Event Hosting: 15 Manitoba Cup points will be awarded to the club that hosts a Manitoba Cup Event.
Distance Traveled Multiplier: To recognize the challenge that traveling long distances creates for some clubs, a distance-traveled multiplier will be applied to the total points accumulated for each event. Distance will be calculated from the registeredmailing address of the Club to the event’s nearest town or city centre (i.e. distances traveled by individual club members are not applicable). Distance traveled multipliers are as follows:
Distance traveled Multiplier
150 km 0
151-200 km 1.15
201 – 300 km 1.2
301 km 1.3
Awards Calculations: Final points for each club will consist of the sum of the best two Manitoba Cup results plus the Provincial Championships. Clubs must have representation at 1 of 3 Provincial Championship events or host a Manitoba Cup event in the current competition year. Point Standings will be posted on the CCSAM website and will be considered final 3 days after the final MB Cup event. Clubs are responsible for reviewing the point standings at season end and inform the CCSAM office of any suspected mistakes or omissions.
- If two or more clubs’ year end points tie they will equally share the points and prize money that is associated with the two ranks they occupy.
- Each day of the Provincial Championships will be calculated as a separate event for the awarding of Manitoba Cup Points.
- Individual Event Awards – Awards for all individual categories at each Manitoba Cup race are encouraged but remain the responsibility of the Host Club.
- Series Awards – The Manitoba Cup Series cash awards are the responsibility of CCSAM and will be presented at the Annual CCSAM Awards Banquet.
Agreement: Club presidents must sign a Manitoba Cup Funding Agreement prior to CCSAM releasing any funds awarded to a club for its participation in the Series. The agreement will outline how the club intends to use the funds being awarded and states that the club will provide a financial report to CCSAM annually that will show all income & expenses including MB Cup awards.
How Are Events Selected to be Manitoba Cup Events?
Clubs interested in hosting a Manitoba Cup Event must submit an Event Bid Form by July 1st annually. The CCSAM Technical Committee reviews all bids forms and will determine what events qualify for the MB Cup Series. The Technical Committee will consider many factors including regional distribution of the events and the ability of the host club to organize a large, provincial competition.