Weekend Events / Loppets
- At temperatures of -25C to -30C (without the wind-chill), the event may be run at the Race Committee’s discretion, under a modified format (such as a shortened course or a modified start time). The Race Committee will consider the temperature trends, wind chill factors, and track conditions expected during the event before making their decision.
- At -30C or colder, the event must be postponed or cancelled.
- At any air temperature, any difficult weather conditions such as strong winds, high air humidity, heavy snow, or icy track conditions will result in the Race Committee consulting with the leaders of the participating teams to modify, postpone or cancel the competition.
- A decision to cancel may be made prior to race day based on the forecast or snow conditions, or it may be made on race day based on current weather conditions and the forecast. Event updates and/or the final decision will be posted on our website if possible; however, it is best to contact the organizing club for last minute event information.
IMPORTANT: For Cross Country Canada sanctioned competitions the following Canadian Competition Rules (CCR) regarding cold temperatures must be followed by all Organizers:
For Canadian competitions: With air temperatures below -20°C (temperature measured at the coldest point of the course and without wind factor) and competition distances less than or equal to 15 km, the Jury must postpone or cancel the competition.
With competition distances greater than 15 km and temperature less than -18°C without wind factor, the Jury must postpone or cancel the competition.
For Atom and Pee Wee age groups, with air temperatures below -15°C (temperature measured at the coldest part of the course and without a wind factor), the Jury must postpone or cancel the competition.
With any difficult weather conditions (e.g. strong winds, high air humidity, heavy snow, icy track conditions) at any air temperature, the Jury may, on consultation with the Team Leaders of the participating teams and the doctor responsible for the competition, postpone, cancel or shorten the competition.
Wednesday Night Races
- At temperatures of -20C to -25C (without the wind-chill), it is at the discretion of the Race Committee to decide on the status of the Wednesday Night Race, taking the wind-chill and forecasts into consideration.
- At temperatures of -25C or less (without the wind-chill), the Wednesday Night Race cannot be held.
- The race organizers may choose to defer the race to Thursday if the weather is too cold to hold it on the Wednesday. The decision will be made by 4:00 PM on Wednesday and conveyed to the staff at the Windsor Park Nordic Centre 204-253-9236.
Other events or programs (Jackrabbits, lessons, etc)
- The program leader will decide if a session should be cancelled.